Dasha Joura Bids Adieu

4:46 AM


Gutsy West Australian Daria "Dasha" Joura has officially retired.

Western Australia's online news site Perthnow (www.perthnow.com.au) reports that Ms. Joura who was one of Australia's finest gymnasts, most endeared by the nation for her gutsy performances at the Beijing Olympics where she helped the team finish sixth, despite tearing ligaments in her ankle two days before the start of the competition. It is the injury which kept Dasha from returning, forcing her to have an ankle reconstruction and leave her promising career behind.

Daria is quoted as saying:

"I don't particularly want to make a big fuss about it," Joura said. "But I think most people would probably know I haven't really been in the gym for a good two years.

"I still find myself going through the same cycle of really wanting to be (back in the gym) but my foot not letting me progress any further.

"(At those moments) I'm no longer enjoying it, I lose my motivation and I give up again."

According to the article, Joura has recently headed to Queensland, where her parents moved at the end of last year to take up positions within the Queensland Academy of Sport.

Fate played a cruel hand in Joura's career, with injuries or form-slumps preventing the seven-time world cup medallist from ever reaching her potential.

The 20-year-old conceded she had regrets but said she felt it was time to shift her focus to her other passions of music and the media.

"In a lot of ways I have some unfinished business, or whatever you want to call it," Joura said. "Obviously my career didn't end on a note that I am happy with it ending on.

"But I also feel like I'm at the stage of my life where I need some stability in my future and I want to pursue some of my other passions.

"My parents would love to have me back in the gym, but I don't think it's necessarily the right place for me."

Wishing Dasha a very happy and bright future!

Image taken by the great Thomas Schreyer

You Might Also Like

0 comments