Q&A with Danna Durante

9:20 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has posted a lovely interview with the Georgia Gymdogs new head coach Danna Durante. You can read the full article at this link: http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/q-a-with-georgia-1450824.html. But here are a couple of the notable questions:

Q: What do you think will be the biggest difference in coaching Cal and Georgia?A: We had a great program at Cal, but this is just a different level. It’s evident that there are 10 national titles here and a great history and tradition. But I realize that it was built from a lot of work and that lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into that. The titles and the All-Americans and all the honors are a result of that. So we have to continue the hard work.
Q: What adjustments will you have to make?A: I think the media coverage for me is something I’m going to have to get used to. I’ll do the interviews and whatever is asked of me, but I’m not going to get caught up in what’s written and how it’s written. ... I know I’m going to have critics. I get it and that’s fine. But if I worry about that, I’m not going to be able to do my job. ... Running the program, meeting with the staff, gymnastics is gymnastics and these kids come here to win. They come here because they love what this opportunity provides for them. So I’m just going to make sure I keep my nose pointed forward and do my job and the rest will take care of itself.
Q: Do you have concerns about working where a pretty successful coach by most standards was just let go?A: There aren’t concerns necessarily. I feel like I was brought in to do a job. It’s not that [former coach] Jay [Clark] wasn’t doing that well; they had a great deal of success for three years. ... I just think they wanted to go in a new direction and obviously they’re excited about what they feel I can provide. Again, I’ll just keep my eyes forward and worry about working. If I let those other things concern me and focus on them, it’s going to make it difficult on me to do what they [athletic director] Greg [McGarity] brought me in here to do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments