Busy time in the World of Gymnastics

6:37 PM

Hello Fellow Gymfans,

How do you like the new layout? I decided that it was time for me to make my mark on this blog that is now officially "mine" (sounds a bit bizarre when I say it!). I decided to keep the title of the blog as "ChimGym", firstly out of respect to its creator and secondly because I couldn't decide on a catchy title!

Anyways, this weekend is quite a busy one on the gymnastics calender! The Spanish men's team will be finalised, the British and Australian WAG squads will be revealed after this weekend, the Romanian Nationals are being held, and then of course there are a number of other events being held.

My friend Catisha went to the AIS today and said that it was quite a really interesting and strange day of competition, anyways she wrote out a whole spiel (sp?) for me to transcribe for you, however I am off to a dinner engagement tonight so unfortunately so it's going to have to be slightly delayed. Much apologies. She got a few autographs, but didn't hang around. I have heard about 4 different combinations for our Olympic team so until tomorrow I am not going to mention any names. I will be madly scanning the GA website and the media sites to see what I can find. Watch this space.

Beckie Downie is the 2008 British National Champion. She scored a total of 59.600 with Rebecca Wing the runner-up with a total of 56.800 and Hannah Whelan, came 3rd with a 56.100. Imogen Cairns was 4th (55.650), Kayleigh Cooke (55.600) 5th, Marissa King 6th with 55.100, Aisling Williams 7th with 55.050 and Laura Jones rounding out the top 8 with 54.800. The international guest Jessica Lopez finished 9th in the AA with a score of 54.550. Beth Tweddle set the highest score of the night with a 16.450 on the uneven bars. The event finals are to be held Sunday, and the top 4 on each event during the qualification I believe was: VAULT: Imogen Cairns (14.200), Beckie Downie (14.150) and Marissa King (14.025). BARS: Beth Tweddle (16.450), Beckie Downie (15.450) and Rebecca Wing (14.300). BEAM: Beckie Downie (14.950), Hannah Whelan (14.600), Kayleigh Cooke 14.450. FLOOR: Beckie Downie (14.450), Kayleigh Cooke (14.400), Imogen Cairns (14.300).

Will discuss the Romanian Nationals in another post once I have seen some footage.

More bad news for Kristina Vaculik, as reported here, she is suffering an elbow injury and as a result Alyssa Brown has been named as the alternate for Beijing. I do hope that Kristina is not discouraged by this and continues onto the 2012 Olympics in London. She has definite potential but I do think that this is a result of the many competitions ie, World Cup events that she attended in an attempt to make up the points for selection.

Check out the International Gymnast website for footage from the Hyundai Capital Invitational II. There is also a little feature on Poland's Marta Pihan! Yay!

You Might Also Like

0 comments