Priess to Go Once More

9:32 PM


Former International Elite Ashley Priess is set to compete a fifth year for the University of Alabama. See below for the article from Tuscaloosa News. Very exciting news as I absolutely adore Ashley and NCAA Gymnastics has been where she has really made a name for herself. Good luck for next season!!


It was announced Tuesday that the All-American would use the redshirt she got from sitting out her junior season after having two ankle surgeries.
“As the year has progressed, I’ve gotten healthier and healthier to the point where now I’m probably healthier than I’ve been since I was 16 years old,” Priess said. “The relationships that we shared this year between each team member and the coaches and everything that went into this process has been so enjoyable and has been such an unforgettable year, and I just enjoyed the journey so much that I want to do it again.”
At the beginning of the 2012 season, Priess seemed pretty set in the idea that it would be her last season. However, as the season progressed, that started to change.
“At the end of the season, I knew it would click in my head whether or not I was really supposed to keep going or not,” she said. “After national championships, yeah, it could’ve been a great finish to say, ‘I’m done. That was really the best it’s going to end on.’ But I love it, and I love competing, and I love Alabama gymnastics, so I wouldn’t want to pass up that opportunity to be able to do it again.”
Coach Sarah Patterson said at the beginning of the season she and Priess had a conversation about the possibility of a fifth-year senior season, but Patterson didn’t want anything to take away from this senior year, so they planned to talk more about it after the championship was done.
“I wanted her to be that senior that went through the ceremony at the end, however the championship season ended up, that she had no regrets on her senior year,” Patterson said. “I feel like Ashley deserves another senior year because she’s worked so hard to get back to this point. I think it’s one of the most memorable and rewarding stories of a true comeback.”
Priess said leading up to her decision, she talked with Patterson, then Monday during a team meeting, they made the official announcement to the team, followed by screaming and tears of joy.
“Everyone was extremely surprised,” Priess said. “I don’t think they knew it was coming.”
While Priess said it would be strange to compete without fellow seniors Geralen Stack-Eaton and Rachel Terry, she’s looking forward to continue to lead the team with current junior Ashley Sledge.
“What’s been really exciting for me is the way I’ve clicked with Ashley Sledge this year, and she’s been an incredible asset to the leadership team, and I think that’s been a really big motivation for me to stay,” she said.
During the 2012 season, the coaching staff managed Priess’ competition amount both in her best interest and in the team’s to maximize her talent while still keeping her healthy. For next season, Priess and the staff will determine gradually how much Priess will be competing.
“I feel very comfortable that between Ashley’s knowledge and my experience as a coach, we can make this a tremendously rewarding experience for her and for our 2013 team,” Patterson said.
Priess was an All-American in both her freshman and sophomore seasons, and while the All-Americans for the 2012 season haven’t been announced yet, it’s likely she’ll be on that list.
She is currently enrolled in a master’s program at Alabama working on her sports management degree. The extra year for gymnastics worked out perfectly in timing because as the 2013 gymnastics season ends, Priess will be getting ready to graduate next May.

You Might Also Like

0 comments