Bangladesh Gymnast to London Olympics

9:40 PM


The image and article are from the University of Michigan. It's now known that Michigan Senior gymnast Syque Caesar who made his debut at the 2011 World Championships competing for Bangladesh, will be competing at the 2012 London Olympics. Making history for the nation, Caesar will be the first gymnast to compete at the London Games. Best of luck to him and all those who are throwing their support behind him. Here's what Michigan Gymnastics wrote: 


University of Michigan senior men's gymnast Syque Caesar (Port Saint Lucie, Fla./Lincoln Park Academy) has been selected to represent Bangladesh in artistic gymnastics at the 2012 Olympic Games, July 28-Aug. 7, in London, England, the Bangladesh Olympic Association announced April 18.
"To be selected for the Games is basically a dream come true," said Caesar of the selection. "I've always hoped to be able to go to the Olympics and for it to actually happen is very overwhelming and exciting. Everything I have done starting from when I first walked into a gym at six years old to competing at the elite level in college has contributed to where I am right now in gymnastics. The biggest part was coming to Michigan and improving at a rate that has made me very competitive. I must thank my family first and foremost for making years of sacrifices in order for me to follow my dreams. All of the coaches I've had have shaped me into the gymnast I am today and all of the teammates I have had at Michigan have also contributed to my competitiveness and overall love of the sport. I thank all of these people in my life for helping me get to where I am today as an Olympian."
The invitation comes after Caesar made history on Dec. 31, 2011, at the fourth Central South Asian Artistic Gymnastic Championships, where he earned the first gold medal in Bangladesh international history.
Caesar won the parallel bars competition with a score of 14.60 and was joined on the podium by Uzbekistan's Ruslan Irgashev, who took the silver medal (13.85), and India's Devesh Kumar, who won bronze (13.725). The Wolverine senior also took silver in the vault competition with a score of 14.25 and earned bronze in the floor exercise with a 13.525. His overall efforts on the meet resulted in a bronze medal in the all-around competition as well.
The senior missed the tail end of the NCAA season due to a slight pectoral injury but excelled at the beginning of the season at the Windy City Invitational and Penn State meets. At the Windy City, he won the parallel bar title with a 15.50, took third on floor (15.20), and took fourth in the all-around competition with a score of 83.20. Additionally, he was key in the win over No. 1 Penn State on Jan. 21, when he won parallel bars with a 15.40 and took second on high bar (14.70) and vault (14.70).
Caesar earned the 2011 Big Ten parallel bar crown and owns career bests of 15.65 on both vault and parallel bars.

You Might Also Like

0 comments